Thursday, February 4, 2021

Fr. Emmanuel Megwara, MSP - Homily for Friday Week 4 of Ordinary Time Year I - February 5, 2021

MY CATHOLIC HOMILY DIGEST

 DATE : 5/2/2021, Friday of the Fourth Week of Ordinary Time (B)

 EVENT : St. Agatha, V. M (Memorial)

 COLOUR: Red

 READINGS : Heb. 13:1-8; Resp. Psalm 26:1,3,5,8-9; Mark 6:14-29.

 THEME:  BE A PRISONER IN THE LOVE OF GOD

   Greetings beloved people of God. I welcome you to "My Catholic Homily Digest". On this Fifth day of February, on which the Church celebrates the memorial of St. Agatha, I wish to reflect with you on the theme: " Be A Prisoner In The Love Of God". Beloved in Christ, I never knew that there is an enjoyable  prison, until I was convicted and sentenced to the prison of God's love. Here, everything took on a new shade of meaning. Here, like other secular prisons, I discovered my hidden self, my hidden potentials, and this prison helped me to harness my abilities. However, unlike other prisons where people seek release, no one ever seeks release from God's love, for his love is sweet to all who have tasted it. St. Agatha, whom we celebrates today, is also a member of this divine prison of love. And with her blood, she sealed herself perpetually a member of this prison.

    In the first reading of today Heb.13:1-8, the author reminded us of the call to love,  and of the need to live in 'love communion', with all whom we meet or know. Beloved, this divine prison of love, like the Christian faith, has a universal cloak, by which all its members are easily recognised. It is the garments of love, of forgiveness, of long-suffering, of patience, of witnessing. This is why when Jesus began his ministry after the death of St. John the Baptist, people confused their identities, because their cloak was the same. Hear what was said in the Gospel of this morning, Mark 6:14-29, 'King Herod had heard about Jesus, since by now his name was well-known. Some were saying, ‘John the Baptist has risen from the dead, and that is why miraculous powers are at work in him.’ Others said, ‘He is Elijah’; others again, ‘He is a prophet, like the prophets we used to have.’ But when Herod heard this he said, ‘It is John whose head I cut off; he has risen from the dead....' Notice how the people were confused about the specific identity of Jesus, such that they were liking and linking him with the other members of this divine prison, who also wore the same cloak in the past.

    Now, dearest in Christ, since by our baptism we were all sentenced to this prison of divine love, the question we need to ask ourselves is this: Am I still a member of this prison, or have I released myself? Am I putting on the required cloak by which all members of this prison are known with? I pray that like the prophet Jeremiah, God will keep seducing us into the prison of his divine love all the days of our lives.

   Oh that today you would listen to his voice harden not your hearts (Ps.95:7-8)

 LET US PRAY : Lord Jesus, grant me the courage to remain steadfast in the prison of your divine love, and the grace to always put on the required cloak....

The Lord be with you....... and with your Spirit.

 May Almighty God bless you in the Name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit......Amen

 

 HAPPY WEEKEND BELOVED FRIENDS

@ Fada Emmanuel Nnamdi Megwara, MSP.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fr. Michael Osatofoh Eninlejie, MSP - Homily for Thursday Easter Week 6 - May 13, 2021 - Ascension

THE SOLEMNITY OF THE ASCENSION OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST Acts 1:1-11 Ephesians 1:17-23 Matthew 28:16-20 I AM GOING TO PREPARE A PLACE...